Tech Data Leverages Sun’s Low-Cost, High-Powered Entry-level Systems to Deliver Enterprise Class Solutions to Midsize Businesses
Sun Microsystems, Inc.(NASDAQ: SUNW) and Tech Data Corporation are expanding their distribution agreement to more aggressively drive Sun technology solutions to midsize enterprises across the United States. Tech Data resellers can now offer customers Sun’s line of entry-level systems, which provide a low-cost, high-performance technology solution for small and midsize businesses. As part of Sun’s 100% partner-led mid-market strategy, this expanded relationship adds to the portfolio of Sun servers, storage, software and services that Tech Data resellers can leverage to build and deploy Network Computing solutions with maximum levels of reliability, availability and scalability.
“Sun has been aggressively pursuing market opportunities with midsize enterprises for some time,” said Gary Grimes, vice president, U.S. Partner Sales and Management at Sun Microsystems, Inc. “Our presence is growing, and Tech Data has the established reseller relationships that will help us continue to expand. Customers will now have even greater access to Sun’s low-cost, enterprise class products through Tech Data’s proven distribution channel.”
To help solution providers enter or expand their reach within the mid-market, Tech Data and Sun have created two new partner categories: “Registered Volume Reseller” and “Authorized Volume Reseller.” As entry-level partners, Registered Volume Resellers will have access to Sun’s full line of Linux-based servers and the workgroup storage products for the mid-market. No certification or fees are required to participate in this program; new partners must register with Tech Data.
Authorized Volume Resellers will be a part of Sun’s iForce Community, which provides access to both Sun’s SPARC� and x86-based entry-level servers, as well as all storage products available through Tech Data, including the workgroup storage products and the Sun StorEdge Resource Management Suite. To become an Authorized Volume Reseller, solution providers must have equivalent technology certifications, such as the Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) certification. Additionally, Authorized Volume Resellers gain access to Sun’s iForce Partner Program benefits, including leasing, SunFund, rebate and other programs.
Tech Data will also support Sun solution providers through a comprehensive channel program that includes:
- Experienced product marketing teams in both systems & storage solutions
- A team of Sun-certified systems engineers with certifications including CompTIA Linux+, Sun Workgroup Products, Sun Certified Systems Administrator for Solaris OS and TruSecure TICSA
- Six strategically located U.S. distribution centers for rapid order fulfillment
- Custom integration services center
- Enterprise Specialized Business Unit (SBU) with dedicated Field Sales Engineers
Tech Data and Sun will work closely with Tech Data’s TechSelect community – a membership-based alliance of value-added resellers focused on the small-to-midsize enterprise market – to identify new opportunities and drive incremental sales within the mid-market. Tech Data’s Enterprise SBU resources are also available to support solution providers with more advanced server technologies that typically require longer sales cycles and highly specialized support requirements.
“Over the past year Tech Data and Sun have worked collaboratively to develop this offering to support solution providers serving the mid-market and how together, we could provide exceptional value to the channel,” said Joe Serra, Tech Data vice president of Software and Systems Product Marketing at Tech Data Corporation. “Adding Sun’s line of mid-market products to our current portfolio provides us with a distinct advantage in the marketplace while offering solution providers greater choice in a wider array of technology solutions.”
Sun Products Now Available through Tech Data:
- Sun LX50, Sun Fire V60x and Sun Fire V65x x86-based, Linux compatible servers
- Sun Fire V210 and Sun Fire V240 rack-optimized servers for the Solaris OE(August 2003)
- Sun LX50, Sun Fire V60x and Sun Fire V65x servers for the Solaris OS(August 2003)
- Sun Fire V100 and V120 servers
- Sun Cobalt server appliances
- Related product accessories
- Solaris Operating System (OS)
- StarOffice software
- Sun ONE Web Server
- Sun ONE Directory Server
- Sun ONE Application Server
- Sun ONE Identity Server
- Sun StorEdge 3000 family of products supporting the Solaris OS, Linux and other operating systems (Sun StorEdge 3310 SCSI and Sun StorEdge 3510 Fibre Channel storage arrays)
- Sun StorEdge L8 Tape Autoloader
- Sun StorEdge L25 and L100 Tape Libraries
- Sun desktop storage products (Sun StorEdge UniPack, Sun StorEdge MultiPack, and Sun StorEdge FlexiPack systems)
- Sun StorEdge Enterprise Backup Software
- Sun SAN solution products (Fibre Channel switches, Host Bus Adapters)
- Veritas software products (Volume Manager, File System, NetBackup)
- Sun StorEdge Resource Management Suite
- Related product accessories
About Tech Data
Tech Data Corporation (NASDAQ/NMS: TECD), founded in 1974, is a leading global provider of IT products, logistics management and other value-added services. Ranked 117th on the Fortune 500, the company and its subsidiaries serve more than 100,000 technology resellers in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East. Tech Data’s extensive service offering includes pre- and post-sale training and technical support, financing options and configuration services as well as a full range of award-winning electronic commerce solutions. The company generated sales of $15.7 billion for its most recent fiscal year, which ended January 31, 2003.
About Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Since its inception in 1982, a singular vision — “The Network Is The Computer” — has propelled Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: SUNW) to its position as a leading provider of industrial-strength hardware, software and services that make the Net work. Sun can be found in more than 100 countries and on the World Wide Web at http://sun.com
Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo, Sun Fire, Solaris, Sun StorEdge, SunFund, iForce, Sun Cobalt, StarOffice and “The Network Is The Computer” are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
All SPARC trademarks are used under license and are trademarks or registered trademarks of SPARC International, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Products bearing SPARC trademarks are based upon architecture developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc.